Under Armour, Inc. Sr. Lead, Store Design & Development in Baltimore, Maryland
Sr. Lead, Store Design & Development
Under Armour is looking for a qualified, driven Sr. Lead, Store Design and Development to support The Americas Retail team on new concept designs for retail stores, and oversight of regional projects within the portfolio including but not limited to: flagships, commercial formats, pop-up shops, and wholesale for 3 distinct regions – US, Canada, and Latam. This position will support The Americas leadership team, providing design expertise as a subject matter expert to drive best in-class retail expressions in collaboration for many cross-functional partners including Visual Merchandising, Operations, Marketing, and Digital. This person must have a comprehensive understanding of retail strategy, ability to bring the brand to life in 3-dimensional space, have a deep understanding of retail fixtures, store development, and processes while working in a fast-paced environment. They must also demonstrate the ability to influence others to gain alignment across the organization while ensuring decisions are made at major milestones. This position will act as a consultant throughout of the entirety of store development process to ensure design intent is carried through to store opening and close out.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Create store design concepts inclusive of interpreting global retail program guidelines and developing unique regional solutions to address the specific needs of The Americas Retail Leadership
• Act as a liaison between Global Retail and The Americas to ensure alignment and partnership with the evolving vision for Under Amour’s global retail footprint
• Create tenant fit out designs to validate prospective store locations in partnership with real estate, architecture, and construction teammates, utilizing a variety of design tools to ensure locations meet ideal design criteria
• Own the vision of the prototype lab (Aisle 4) to ensure it serves the needs of The Americas business and has the right space and tools necessary to inspire creativity and maintain safety for all teammates
• Coordinate mock-ups and prototypes of new design elements within prototype lab (e.g. lighting, paint, fixture, etc.) in collaboration with construction team, ensuring necessary documentation and approvals
• Build physical prototypes out of unfinished materials (foam core, MDF, etc.) to assess space, massing, functionality of fixture prior to full prototyping
• Create presentations for Global and The Americas executive leadership review of designs in various stages of the design process
• Work closely with execution designer and construction PM to develop architectural drawings and ensure design intent is maintained throughout the design, preconstruction, and construction process
• Collaborate with cross functional teams (VM, Marketing, Ops) to design new fixtures based on regional needs, utilizing 3D modeling tools
• Work as a liaison between Under Armour and local fixture manufacturer to develop engineering drawings and prototypes as necessary
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
• Strong problem-solving skills: ability to evaluate difficult situations and make informed decisions promptly
• Excellent visualization skills in communicating ideas through multiple forms of design tools (precedent research, photographs, sketches, renderings, line drawings, physical mock-ups, etc.)
• Organizational skills; attention to detail
• Experienced in reading, interpreting, and creating architectural details/specifications for construction document production and shop drawing review of engineering drawings
• General understanding of building codes, environmental regulations, and other building systems
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
• Well versed in 3D modeling software for fixture and store designs (Sketch Up)
• Familiarity with AutoCAD (Revit is a plus)
• Ability to work with power tools and materials for physical mock-ups
• Ability to communicate to and lead internal teams, outside vendors, consultants, and contractors
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and build effective working relationships
• Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives resulting in exceptional store environments
• Ability to execute multiple designs under tight deadlines – time management, prioritization, and communication skills
• Strong team player
• Managerial experience – mentoring, leading, developing, and motivating team members
• Ability to guide, direct, or influence a team
Education And / Or Experience
• 8-12 years architecture, interior, industrial design experience – Retail experience preferable
• Bachelor’s Degrees in Architecture or Interior Design – Advanced degree preferable
Think Strategically – Envisions: Anticipates future trends and opportunities to create a clear vision for the future. Partners cross-functionally to translate the vision into integrated strategies. Challenges teams to make decisions to ensure that resources are invested in UA’s strategic objectives.
Communicate Effectively – Inspires: Creates a culture of transparency by communicating with honesty, the appropriate level of information and requests and listens to input. Confidently articulates complicated, delicate, or unpopular issues in a clear and concise manner. Leverages emotion when communicating to inspire purpose and action. Exemplifies composure and proactively manages reactions/emotions of self and others.
Build Talent – Develops Teams: Creates a learning environment by promoting and investing in development opportunities at all levels of the organization. Leads succession planning efforts and maintains a diverse talent pipeline. Facilitates the strategic movement of talent throughout the organization. Creates a team culture where diverse perspectives and experiences are sought-after, valued, and leveraged.
Collaborate Inclusively – Integrates: Leads with an enterprise mindset by partnering across business unit/functions to drive projects and execute decisions. Establishes and supports an active information-sharing network throughout UA. Cultivates a trusting environment for teammates of all identities that encourages diversity of thought and culture of inclusion. Acknowledges organizational biases and takes action to ensure teammates feel safe and willing to contribute their unique perspective.
Know the Business – Anticipates: Sponsors opportunities for teammates to learn UA's global business model and explains how teammates contribute to key performance indicators. Evaluates key business metrics to anticipate and address organizational strengths, opportunities, threats, and risks and guides strategic decisions. Anticipates and recognizes the impact of external factors that may impact the business and develops strategies to maximize UA’s performance.
Drive Improvement – Optimizes: Reviews the operating strategy in the context of business goals and market dynamics to identify areas of improvement across UA. Creates opportunities for teammates to generate and test new ideas and improvements. Encourages learning from failures and successes to drive continuous improvements.
Make Data-Driven Decisions – Activates: Challenges others to think creatively about how to leverage data to make business decisions. Evaluates the interconnections among decisions and uses data to address the strategic priorities. Fosters an environment where data is shared, and teammates are empowered to make data-based decisions.
Be Accountable – Motivates: Creates conditions in which teammates have the opportunity to grow and assume more responsibility. Motivates the team to achieve strategic results by creating a sense of responsibility for following through, achieving goals, and ensuring high-quality standards. Champions a positive, results-oriented culture that views challenges and obstacles as an opportunity to achieve greater results.