Requisition ID: 6402
Built on talent, technology, and trust, Grace is a leading global supplier of catalysts and engineered materials. The company’s two industry-leading business segments—Catalysts Technologies and Materials Technologies—provide innovative products, technologies, and services that enhance the products and processes of our customers around the world. Grace employs approximately 3,900 people in over 30 countries.
The Sr. Process Control Engineer is part of the corporate process automation team and will be responsible for defining and implementing process automation best practices across the Grace manufacturing sites globally. In this role, the Sr. Process Control Engineer will lead automation improvement and migration projects and initiatives across the Grace manufacturing sites. The position will identify risks and opportunities with existing process automation systems and develop recommendations on pathways to operational excellence with a focus on improvements in safety performance, cost, and quality at the respective manufacturing sites. The individual will serve as a technology leader within Grace to identify and implement automation innovations to drive continuous improvement within Grace manufacturing.
The Sr. Process Control Engineer will report to the Process Control Leader.
- Interact with manufacturing sites and process technology group to identify, optimize, and implement modern basic and advanced control strategies
- Design, test, troubleshoot, and oversee implementation of new control systems across the Grace manufacturing network
- Ensure automation improvements globally are implemented with focus on Grace’s global process automation program and global process automation standards
- In plants with established control systems, develop migration strategies in compliance with the Grace global process automation program for existing systems and troubleshoot hardware, software, and instrument problems while utilizing best practices from projects executed at other sites
- Lead productivity initiatives targeting reduced raw material and energy consumption, increased production rates, and improved product quality by leveraging improvements in Process Automation
- Serves as project manager for larger controls upgrades throughout the manufacturing network and working with colleagues to find the best solution to projects
- Document process control design standards and strategies for common unit operations in the manufacturing process and drive best practice sharing across the sites
- Be point of contact for key controls questions within Grace and serve as trainer for internal training programs
- Develop and deploy process automation standards like: alarm management, high performance level 1 HMI, functional requirement specification, cyber security, and state-based control
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; Specific Experience in developing process control narratives and functional requirement specifications
- Strong interpersonal skills needed to manage and collaborate with multiple internal resources within the Grace organization and external resources, including management of vendor relationships
- Strong analytical skills to draw conclusions and make the right evaluations of current procedures with the ability to make timely decisions
- Experience in developing and deploying Alarm Management Program
- Experience in creating and executing High Performance Level 1 HMI’s
- Detail oriented to identify inaccuracies and deficiencies and find solutions to them.
- Ability to quickly learn details of Grace’s chemical processes and identify the impact of automation improvements on the cost, quality, and safety of the manufacturing operation.
- Ability to manage complex projects across many facilities and functions while following good process automation project management execution practices
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Successful in working in a matrix organization and supporting multiple internal customers
- Strategic and tactical mindset with strong business acumen to balance demands of dynamic business drivers versus plant needs
- Ability to travel 25% to sites consistently with intermittent and limited periods of 50% travel
- BS/MS in Chemical Engineering
- Hands-on experience with programming control logic essential-DCS systems; preferentially Emerson or Honeywell platforms
- Minimum of 13 years working in manufacturing/industrial environment in a technical role of which:
- 5+ years of technical experience in a chemical manufacturing environment-operations/production/process engineer AND
- 5+ years of experience with process automation including control systems, instrumentation, and standards deployment in a chemical environment
- Strong operations and project management experience in a related industry preferred
Grace is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Grace via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Grace. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Grace as a result of the referral or through other means.
EOE Statement: W. R. Grace & Co. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation.