Marriott Coordinator - Media Relations in Bethesda, Maryland
Job Number 21013551
Job Category Public Relations & Communications
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP (https://www.google.com/maps?q=Marriott+International+HQ%2C10400+Fernwood+Road%2CBethesda%2CMaryland%2CUS)
Position Type Management
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Media Relations, a function of Global Communications & Public Affairs, is responsible for developing and executing a strategic, innovative and integrated corporate communications program that both drives the business and advances the company’s reputation through proactive and reactive external media relations campaigns and serving as a day-to-day strategist for internal clients, with frequent interaction and counsel to various top-level executives.
The Coordinator, Media Relations works closely with the Media Relations team to assist in developing and implementing communications strategies and manage media relations for the global travel program Marriott Bonvoy as well as Homes & Villas by Marriott International (HVMI), Global Technology, Sales and other corporate functions.
The role reports to the Senior Director, Media Relations.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
· Partnering with the Vice President, Media Relations, Senior Director, Media Relations and the Manager, Media Relations on helping to develop story ideas that will further key messages and reach targeted audiences, building media lists, pitching reporters, drafting briefing materials, writing press releases and maintaining a story bank of ideas for potential stories that advance the company narrative.
· Responsible for managing incoming media requests; following up with reporters when necessary to get pertinent information and scheduling interviews when appropriate. Consults with the Senior Director, Media Relations on the proper disposition of each request and tracks the outcomes.
· Works with team members to manage executive speaking requests – vets speaking opportunities; maintains and monitors a system to track incoming speaking requests and the outcomes; prepares background memos for speaking events; does first draft of talking points or remarks.
· Maintains the team calendar consisting of scheduled PR event/news/announcements for Marriott Bonvoy, Global Technology, Sales, Development, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and more.
· Tracks U.S. media coverage and shares clips with appropriate internal audiences, and collaborates with global counterparts to compile, prepare and share monthly, quarterly and annual reports for senior leaders.
· Supports team members in producing strategic and tactical presentations to internal clients.
Requirements for Position
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
· Minimum of two (2) years practical communications or media relations experience, with demonstrated ability in multiple digital channels. Travel or hospitality background preferred.
· Proficiency with social media, Microsoft Office suite, media monitoring tools, web publishing and content management.
· Strong writing, editing, and proof-reading skills; demonstrated passion for writing.
· Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work with all levels of the company.
· Process oriented.
· Detailed oriented and strong time management skills.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Education : Bachelor's degree required; concentration in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations preferred.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.