Marriott Director, Advanced Data Science, Machine Learning in Bethesda, Maryland
Job Number 21018161
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP (https://www.google.com/maps?q=Marriott+International+HQ%2C10400+Fernwood+Road%2CBethesda%2CMaryland%2CUS)
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? Y
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Are you passionate about the power of big data to drive customer value? Do you enjoy maneuvering complex data sets to build elegant machine learning models? Do you go beyond building models to ensure they are actionable? Are you continuously learning about all the developments in the world of AI? Do you list Python or R as one of the languages you speak?!
Marriott, the world’s largest hotel company, is seeking someone like you to help enhance machine learning capabilities to drive customer engagement and value. This role entails outstanding business to technical translation, structured yet creative thinking, cross-functional collaboration, hands-on machine learning model development and operationalization. This role is part of a highly visible team that is tasked with growth acceleration and reinventing customer experience for Marriott
What you will do
• Enhance capabilities needed to serve our global customers at scale in a data-driven, personal and relevant way
• Understand the biggest areas of opportunity for the application of data science and machine learning at Marriott, developing services, positioning, and messaging in a clear, differentiated, and value-driven way across channels
• Lead internal, external, and cross functional teams to develop new data-driven models and evolve existing models for customer intelligence, digital personalization, and other key areas of customer-focused growth.
• Collaborate with IT and other data platform support teams to lead enterprise efforts to bring in new data science technologies, frameworks and methodologies and scale data science models through distributed computing and platform implementation
• Evolve applications of advanced analytics, machine learning, tools, data sources, talent and partners by incessantly bringing external best practices and trends into an existing team of data-savvy analysts
• Evangelize adoption of advanced analytics and pervasive data-driven thinking in Marriott culture
• Work effectively with stakeholders to understand ambiguous business problems, assess data needs, develop/maintain best suited models and help/strategize deploying them in production
Education and Experience
4-year degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or other quantitative discipline required
Master from an accredited university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or other quantitative discipline required AND
7+ years’ hands-on experience in machine learning (supervised, unsupervised, and ensemble methods), natural language processing; computer vision, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance required; deep learning experience is a plus
PhD from an accredited university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or other quantitative discipline preferred.
Proven track record of developing, scaling and implementing statistical predictive models in customer facing environments
Proven track record of managing predictive modeling/ML/AI projects
Experience with big data and cluster computing environments
Minimum of 5 years of programming using: Python, R, Spark, or Java along with stellar visualization and persuasive story telling
Additional experience using the following tools is desired
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders
· Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
· Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
· Collaborates with internal partners and stakeholders to support business/initiative strategies
· Communicates concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand.
Managing Work, Projects, and Policies
· Coordinates and implements work and projects as assigned.
· Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
· Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
· Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
· Sets and tracks goal progress for self and others.
· Monitors the work of others to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
· Provides direction and assistance to other organizational units’ policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of resources.
· Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
· Leads specific team while assisting with meeting or exceeding department goals.
· Makes sure others understand performance expectations.
· Ensures that goals are being translated to the team as they relate to tracking and productivity.
· Creates and nurtures an environment that emphasizes motivation, empowerment, teamwork, continuous improvement and a passion for providing service.
· Understands employee and develops plans to address need areas and expand on the strengths.
· Provides the team with the capabilities needed to meet or exceed expectations.
· Leads by example demonstrating self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Acts proactively when dealing with employee concerns.
· Extends professionalism and courtesy to employees at all times.
· Communicates/updates all goals and results with employees.
· Meets semiannually with staff on a one-to-one basis.
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees.
· Solicits employee feedback.
· Interviews job candidates and assists in making hiring decisions.
· Receives hiring recommendations from team supervisors.
· Ensures orientations for new team members are thorough and completed in a timely fashion.
· Observes behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals.
· Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person in a timely manner.
· Manages group or interpersonal conflict.
· Informs and/or updates executives, peers, and subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
· Manages time effectively and conducts activities in an organized manner.
· Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise, organized manner.
· Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow up.
· Performs other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.