Washington Gas Light Co. Vehicle Technician (3pm-1am 4x10 Shift) in Forestville, Maryland
Provides full range of routine maintenance and repairs to vehicle fleet, power operated equipment, compressed natural gas systems and compressor stations, and other shop and facility related equipment as required.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Job responsibilities:
• Responsible for adhering to all WG operating standards, policies and procedures.
• Responsible for adhering to local, state, federal, and OSHA requirements.
• Responsible for proper and safe use of tools and equipment.
• Performs general maintenance to engines, and engines of heavy equipment, automobiles, cranes, etc.
• Disassemble, inspect, diagnose, repair, weld, assemble, and test the following examples; engine and mechanical components such as anti-slip differential, power steering, and air conditioning units.
• Electrical systems such as electronic voltage regulators and electric brakes.
• Hydraulic systems (oil, water, brake) such as tailgates, clutches.
• Cooling systems. Auxiliary power take-off systems.
• Fuel systems including compressed natural gas, liquid propane, fuel injection, etc.
• Exhaust systems and anti-smog devices. Air compressor and operating controls.
• Hoisting mechanisms and cables on cranes. Submersible fuel pumps.
• Allison and other automatic transmissions. CNG vehicle systems and related equipment.
• Diesel engines. Electronic and high-energy ignition systems. Transaxles. Hydraulic PTO. Front-end alignment. Glass assemblies.
• Mounted units such as welders and compressors.
• Diagnose and repair air brake systems, heavy truck suspensions, etc.
• Performs state inspections including Md. and Va. emissions and safety.
• Mount compressors, welders, other mounted equipment and special bodies and body components.
• Make repairs to vehicles and equipment in field and Tow vehicles to shop as needed.
• Repair, install and remove tire chains, maintain batteries and chargers and perform rough bodywork.
• Fabricate and repair seat frames, bodies, chassis, etc., by welding and torch cutting.
• Obtain and issue parts when supervisor not available.
• Works alone or without supervision at times.
• Repair and maintain shop equipment and tools, office furniture, facilities equipment.
• Instruct other WG employees in proper use of automotive equipment, power take off, winches, etc.
• Balance wheels and tires using high-speed balancer. Break down, repair, change tire and wheel assemblies.
• Tools used:
• Wide variety of hand, power tools and equipment including jacks, presses, lifting devices, electrical and pneumatic.
• Hand held computerized testing devices.
• Front-end alignment machine, tire changing equipment.
• Uses computerized transportation system to enter and retrieve data and create work orders.
• Shift Work: As Required
• Use Of Personal Vehicle As Required: As Required
• On-Call Responsibilities: As Required
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• High School Diploma/GED
• 5+ Years Combination of five (5) years of recent work experience as an auto or truck mechanic and/or graduation from an accredited career/technical institute in the automotive field with at least two (2) years of recent work experience as an auto or truck mechanic, including servicing of DOT vehicles.
• Within eight (8) months of hire, obtain valid CDL driver’s license, with Class A or B Certification, DOT Medical Card, and Forklift qualified, and ASE Certifications – T8: Medium/Heavy-Duty Truck and G1: Auto Maintenance and Light Repair,. ASE T8 and G1 must be maintained to remain in the Vehicle Technician position. Additional certification as required to perform MD and/or VA safety and emissions inspections. 6-9 Months
• CDL HOLDERS ARE SUBJECT TO TESTING UNDER FEDERAL HIGHWAY REGULATIONS
• Basic computer skills.
WGL is an EO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL is an EEO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL Holdings, Inc. is a public utility holding company and the parent company of WGL, a diversified energy business that provides natural gas, electricity, green power, carbon reduction and energy services. Our calling as a company is to make energy surprisingly easy - for our employees, for our community and for all our customers. WGL and its affiliates are committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status. sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical or mental disabilities, political affiliation, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.