Kelly Services Animal Husbandry Tech in Gaithersburg, Maryland
Kelly Services is seeking an Animal Husbandry Technician for our large pharmaceutical client in Gaitherburg MD.
This is a 6 month contract paying $24/hr
Major Duties and Responsibilities (including supervising others):
• Observe appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations and study protocols
• Observe appropriate safety and health practices including personal protective equipment and barrier requirements
• Remove animal waste from cages and prepare cages and associated caging equipment (bottles, feeders, lids) for washing.
• Maintain the animal facility in a clean and orderly condition.
• Operate and adjust animal watering system. Monitor facility water quality
• Change cages using appropriate techniques.
• Perform animal identification procedures (ear tagging, chipping)
• Perform daily health/mortality checks
• Perform basic technical skills such as IP injections, cardiac blood collection
• Collect body weight and clinical examinations and enter data into Excel spread sheets
• Perform other duties as assigned by the AST (animal services and technologies) Supervisor or Manager
• Work independently to perform daily tasks
• Other duties as assigned
Education: BA or BS in biological sciences
ALAT certification, LAT Certification preferred not needed
Experience : At least 2 years of experience working in a laboratory animal research setting or AA degree in biological sciences plus 2-4 years of experience
• Willingness to work with live virial agents, mice infected with live viral agents or human material
• Ability to lift objects frequently in performing daily work activities
• Ability to pull or push objects on a regular basis
• Ability to carry objects on a regular basis in the arms or on the shoulders
• Ability to grasp objects utilizing the fingers (fine motor manipulation)
• Ability to reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
• Ability to stoop of crouch by bending at the waist or by bending the legs
• Knowledge and use of protective equipment and safety procedures related to the possible exposure to dusts, viruses, tissues, chemicals, fumes, vapors, and mists that could potentially affect the health of the employee
• Knowledge of normal animal behavior for mouse, rat and hamster species
• Knowledge of USDA, OLAW and AAALAC requirements
• Knowledge of hazardous and infectious material handling
Job Complexity : Medium. Understanding of safety requirements. Complete knowledge of sanitation and sterilization processes. Use of specialized equipment such as rack washer, autoclave, floor cleaner. Ability to humanely handle all species of laboratory animals. Ability to distinguish unhealthy animals from healthy animals. Ability to learn new technical skills.
Why Kelly ® ?
As a worker today, it’s up to you to take charge of your career and look for opportunities to learn, grow, and achieve your potential. Helping you find what’s next is what we’re all about. We know what’s going on in the evolving world of work—just ask the nearly 500,000 people we employ each year. Connecting with us means getting the support, guidance, and opportunities needed to take your career where you may have never imagined.
About Kelly ®
At Kelly , we’re always thinking about what’s next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we’re a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.