Applied Physics Laboratory Business/Financial Analyst in Laurel, Maryland
Are you seeking significant work in a team and collaborative environment focused on delivering quality results to our sponsors and making critical contributions to the nation?
Are you organized, able to manage multiple tasks, and pay attention to details?
Do you love working with numbers, have strong computer skills and handling day-to-day financial related tasks (i.e. forecasting and planning resources, financial reporting, and analysis)?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL).
We are seeking an enthusiastic Business / Financial Analyst to help us champion teamwork, cultivate collaboration, develop and implement advanced financial reporting solutions to achieve the objectives of our mission area and the APL organization. As a member of the Financial and Business Services Group (AB2), you'll be joining a high-spirited team of hardworking professionals who are committed to delivering quality products to our customers including the Senior Executive leadership, Program Management, Branch and Group Supervisors, and our sponsors. We are passionate about learning, improving and preparing for the next generation through exceeding expectations through responsive and dynamic financial and program reporting.
As a Business / Financial Analyst…
You will play an active role in the overall financial success and operational efficiency in financial management by:
- Managing and analyzing program funding, task planning, and financial reporting requirements
- Preparing response(s) for proposals pertaining to IDIQ contracts, grants, and work for industry solicitations
- Providing leadership and support to the Programs Financial Services Section of the AB2 Group
- Participating on lab-wide committees, engaging in team meetings, establishing and maintaining effective communication
- Collaborating with the Sector,Mission, Program Area, Program, and Project Managers to identify potential financial risks, while managing the financial and business objectives of the organization
Program Financial Management –
- Perform finance-related tasking in support of Air Missile Defense Systems Programs and Project Managers on sponsor facing programs; including actively managing programs’ Estimate to Complete (ETC) to ensure contract compliance
- Prepare routine financial analysis to forecast and identify potential funding and period of performance risks
- Proactively utilize the various business applications to analyze program plans vs. actuals to ensure the data is reasonable and in alignment with the program’s funding projections
- Prepare financial reports in support of contract requirements, sponsors and Program Managers
- Work closely with the program team to support the planning and executing of sponsor reviews and milestone meetings
- Provide support in developing and managing the resource and procurement planning activities
Quality Assurance/ Business Related Functions –
- Perform quality/peer reviews on financial and program-related documents
- Perform a broad range of business-related functions pertaining to contractual/funding issues, and government audits
- Actively engage with stakeholders, keeping them abreast of potential concerns, risks and competing priorities
- Seek new innovations to enhance quality,customer service and business processes
Proposal Pricing & Preparation –
- Develop business support requirements, including proposals, sub-certifications, cost impact statements, and other financial and program-related documents
- Partner with the Program & Project Manager to ensure the sponsor information and funding appropriation is accurate, task is covered under the contract’s core competencies, security classification is cited, and the development of the period of performance, and deliverables resource requirements (labor, material, subcontracts and special test equipment) are included
- Prepare cost estimates and work in conjunction with the procurement team to determine material and/or subcontract costs
- Respond to Request for Proposals (RFPs) and other solicitations by assisting Program Managers in addressing solicitation requirements
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you …
- Are a highly motivated self-starter with a BS/BA in Business Administration, Finance, or a related field
- Have 3+ years of relevant experience in the areas of financial cost analysis and proposal preparation, preferably in a DoD contracting environment
- Are able to work independently; possess strong interpersonal, problem-resolution skills, and analytical skills
- Are an advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite application
- Are able to prioritize/manage multiple assignments and remain responsive in a dynamic environment
- Possess strong written/oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with staff and all levels of management
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you …
- Have a working knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulation, Cost Accounting Standards and federal government pricing activities
- Fluent with various financial reporting software applications and have the desire to learn new and emergingapplications
- Proficient with data analytic and visualization tools (Power BI, Denodo) and APL business systems: PEER, EBSS, RMIS, FPB and DW
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 26054