Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) Buyer I in Laurel, Maryland
Functional TitleBuyer I
Recruitment Category TypeStandard
Functional CategoryProcurement & Supplier Diversity
Number of Vacancies1
Job Description Summary
Reports toPurchasing Manager
Full or Part TimeFull Time
If Part Time how many hours per week
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Position End Date (if temporary)
Mon – Fri 8AM – 5PM
Within a team setting, the Buyer I performs general procurement and contracting tasks to ensure our organization has the supplies and materials needed to meet business objectives.
• Assists customers with identifying specifications for statements of work
• Analyzes and evaluates responses to solicitations for conformance to procurement requirements such as insurance, bonds and scopes of work
• Prepares, awards and administers contracts and/or purchase orders; monitors contractors’ deliverables and performance, changes/modifications and contract closeouts
• Coordinates and facilitates pre-solicitation conferences, bid openings and other related meetings
• Conducts price analysis; assists with cost analysis for bid award and reporting purposes
• Contacts customers to identify and discuss needs as well as to resolve problems
• Builds and achieves consensus with customers on service level agreements
• Processes routine order requests; determines the method of procurement based on the characteristics of the request
• Prepares contract drafts and other required documents
• Contacts, interviews and/or negotiates with suppliers to conduct market research, resolve contract related discrepancies, resolve delivery and billing disputes and make product/service award recommendations
• Has authority to bindWSSCWater on purchases per the delegation of authority
• Researches sources of supply; collects, analyzes and uses data for procurement tasks
• Stays well-informed in the areas of market prices and product/technological developments
• Uses business software to create and maintain documents, reports, spreadsheets and databases
• Assists the team in the management and development of large or complex team projects; may manage team projects of limited complexity
• Participates with senior procurement team members in vendor conferences and negotiations
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• General knowledge of business principles and practices, purchasing, contracting, negotiating, research, finance, accounting and relationship management principles and practices
• Ability to perform cradle-to-grave contracting work
• Ability to provide technical support to a team on complex procurements
• Ability to write clearly and concisely using proper language and grammar
• Ability to demonstrate good judgment in applying laws, regulations, and policies and procedures
• Ability to effectively manage workload within a team setting
• Ability to practice effective time management
• Ability to promptly respond with professionalism and courtesy to requests and complaints from the general public, vendors, customers, co-workers, as well as external government agencies and works proactively to resolve issues
• Ability to actively collaborate with team members to accomplish team objectives
• Ability to work well under pressure on multiple concurrent assignments to meet deadlines
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, contract management or related discipline
- OR -
• High School diploma or equivalent and 4+ years of procurement experience
Completion of the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission Financial Disclosure statement within 30 days of employment and annually thereafter.
Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Accredited Purchasing Practitioner (APP), or equivalent.
Salary$23.45 - $35.80 per hour
It is the policy of the Commission to select new employees and to promote current employees without regard to race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, or handicap. The Commission does not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability and will make reasonable accommodation for any disability that does not result in undue hardship for the Commission.
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
*Do you have a Bachelor's degree -OR- a High School diploma (or equivalent) with 4+ years of purchasing and procurement experience?
*Do you have any certification from an accredited procurement program such as a CSCP, CPSM, CPPO, CPSD, CPPB, CPIM, or designation as a Federal Government Acquisition Professional certified as a level II or equivalent?
*Please list your current and active procurement certifications.
(Open Ended Question)
*Are you proficient in the use of MS Office?
Are you an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces who was a bona fide resident of the state of Maryland when you entered the U.S. military?
*Will you, now or in the future, require sponsorship for employment visa status?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application