Applied Physics Laboratory Chief Engineer- KBN in Laurel, Maryland
Do you have expertise in US Navy maritime navigation systems and are excited to investigate the challenges presented to the subsurface and surface fleets’ tactical and strategic navigation missions?
Are you interested in applying your expertise and insight to ensure the highest quality methodology and results while tackling constantly evolving challenges in US Navy maritime navigation?
If so, then we want you on our team! We are the Navigation group (KBN) in the Force Projection Sector at JHU/APL. We are seeking a Chief Engineer to help us ensure the US Navy has the most accurate, yet reliable navigation systems in the world. Our navigation expertise support tactical and strategic missions of utmost importance to the US Navy.
As a Chief Engineer you will...
- Be recognized as a Subject Matter Expert in many aspects of US Navy maritime navigation and, as such, will ensure the technical excellence in the group’s analysis activities.
- Work with the Chief Scientist and KBN management to ensure technical depth in the group’s focus areas of submarine and surface navigation.
- Join a highly talented and motivated team of mathematicians, engineers and physicists focused on navigation analysis with many opportunities to collaborate with other innovative experts from a variety of technical fields.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the oversight and review of KBN direct tasking in the areas pertaining to submarine and surface navigation performance analysis and assessment.
- Provide thought leadership by reviewing proposals to identify unforeseen technical issues and staying informed of fundamental technical issues confronting group projects.
- Assist in the technical development of KBN staff
- Serve as a technical expert for APL Program Managers (PMs) in engagements with sponsors.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Master's or PhD in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or similar technical field. A B.S. with several years of experience in a related field will also qualify.
- Have 10 years of relevant professional experience in the area of navigation performance assessment for the US Navy surface and subsurface fleet including operational concerns, reliability and accuracy evaluation, and mission objectives. .
- Have the verbal and writing skills and disposition necessary for documenting and presenting work to APL colleagues and government sponsors
- Enjoy providing or, if necessary, developing the technical expertise to address problems requiring both independent investigation and collaborative team effort
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to US Navy facilities, bases and contractor sites to present results.
- Demonstrated effective technical leadership experience and proven ability to mentor staff of all levels, particularly the skillset necessary to develop the next-generation of navigation analysts.
- Have an active Secret security clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have been designated a Lead Engineer and/or a Technical Lead for an effort relevant to navigation.
- Are experienced with Kalman Filter/Smoother techniques, underwater acoustic modeling and simulation, inertial navigation and optimal fusion of various tactical and test instrumentation sensors.
- Have a Top Secret security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24512