Applied Physics Laboratory Communications Specialist in Laurel, Maryland
Do you have a passion for writing and media outreach?
Are you an organized deadline-driven individual who enjoys a variety of communications-oriented work?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team.
As a Communications Specialist:
- Your primary responsibility will be producing internal and external communications for two audiences:
- Internal communications aimed at engaging APL staff members in the organization's strategic vision, mission and values; and
- External communications to interest media outlets and the public in the important research, discoveries and critical contributions of APL staff members to challenges facing the nation.
- You will engage external audiences in the technical work of the Laboratory through your writing, media outreach, and collaborate with our graphic design and video teams.
- You will establish relationships with relevant media outlets and be an advocate for media placements of APL stories or subject matter experts.
- You will regularly contribute to our internal, bi-weekly staff newsletter.
- You will follow and uphold editorial guidelines.
- You will work with other departments to ensure consistency in messaging to staff and external audiences.
* You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...*
- Have 1-5 years of relevant experience.
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Have strong writing and communications skills, including previous experience writing news stories, blogs, and/or technical stories.
- Have experience engaging with media members and outlets and securing media placements.
- Have an ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a team.
- Possess a strong attention to detail, organization and follow-through.
- Have ability to work on deadline, set priorities, and work independently.
- Have strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess proficiency in AP style.
- Have effectively worked across multiple levels of an organization.
- Have a working knowledge of content management systems and trends in social media.
- Have experience producing videos or writing scripts.
- Have a strong news sense and experience executing strategic media relations plans.
- Have 5-10 years relevant experience
- Have a Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 23984