Applied Physics Laboratory Contamination Control Technician in Laurel, Maryland
Are you interested in being part of a team that helps ensure that spacecraft and instruments will function well in the space environment? Are you a detail-oriented worker who thrives in a fast-paced environment? If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
As a Contamination Control Technician...
Your primary responsibility to will be execute and support Contamination Control tasks, including coordination of cleanroom laundry/consumables, cleanroom facility certifications, and precision cleaning of ground support, engineering, and space flight hardware.
You will also execute contamination surface cleanliness verification using industry standard techniques, and prepare sampling swabs and wipes for verifications.
When needed, you will support Contamination Control activities for spacecraft and instrument Integration and Test (I&T).
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Mechanical skills related to simple hand tools and operation of precision cleaning laboratory equipment such as a gravimetric analysis setup, microbalance, ultrasonic cleaner and particle counter.
- Experience working in a cleanroom or similar controlled environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft equivalent office products such as Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Strong communication (reading, writing & oral), organization, and multi-tasking skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Problem-solving ability, attention to detail, and initiative.
- At least 5 years experience working in a cleanroom environment.
- Experience precision cleaning space flight hardware.
- Experience with I&T activities for space flight hardware.
- Experience operating scientific instrumentation and vacuum chambers.
- Knowledge and application of standards (ASTM, IEST, ISO, NASA) documents and policies relating to cleanliness verification.
- Experience and training in Planetary Protection.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24671