Applied Physics Laboratory Ground Systems Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you at your best when you're hashing out a problem at the whiteboard?
Do you dream in code?
Do you crave challenging problems and love contributing to passionate and high-performing teams?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a software engineer to help us develop the next generation of autonomous ground systems for spacecraft missions. You'll be joining a hardworking and accomplished team of software and software system engineers who work on complex software systems that span the entire space mission life-cycle. We strive to foster an environment of perpetual personal development, innovation, and candid feedback. As a member of our team, your creative contributions will help mission operators execute spacecraft missions.
As a Ground System Software Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to design, implement, test, and maintain software applications that help APL's various mission teams execute their mission specific objectives.
- You will work with expert ground software architects to modernize existing applications.
- You will refine and iterate existing applications for use in new domains and new programs.
- You will contribute to group research, process improvement, and tool evaluation.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- Have experience developing back-end and user-facing application software.
- Have experience developing application software or system software using Java, and have experience crafting and implementing RESTful web services.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with the full software development process, software design methodology, configuration management systems, and product defect tracking tools.
- Hold an active secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have 3+ years of experience working in software development organizations.
- Experience with Node.js and single page application development useful. Familiarity with database technologies (SQL and no-SQL) a plus.
- Knowledge of Unity and experience developing Augmented and Virtual Reality applications desired.
- Familiarity with other languages (C#, Python, etc.). Prior experience and familiarity with Ground Data Systems and Mission Operations.
- Hold an active top secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 20540