Applied Physics Laboratory Instrument Mechanical Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Do you want to contribute to cutting edge technologies and fascinating space missions?
Are you a Mechanical Engineer with instrumentation experience?
If so, we may have the job for you!
We are seeking an experienced individual to lead the mechanical development of space instrumentation. The successful candidate will lead the mechanical design, drafting, fabrication, assembly, test and integration of several types of space flight instruments.
The Space Science Instrumentation group at APL designs and builds instruments that produce data for scientific research. The team contains expertise spanning all aspects of instrument production including: electrical, mechanical, software, optics, physics and other niche areas. Some examples of our work includes: the PEPSSI and LORRI instruments on the New Horizons Spacecraft, the RBSPICE instrument on the Van Allen Probes Spacecraft, the CRISM instrument on the MRO Spacecraft, and dozens more. We are currently working on instruments for the JUICE, Europa, Psyche, and Lucy Missions.
*As the Instrument Mechanical Engineer, you will... *
- Oversee the mechanical design, drafting, and fabrication of parts and sub-assemblies
- Perform mechanical analyses and/or interface with thermal and stress engineers to verify design integrity
- Oversee design of mechanical GSE and test fixtures
- Develop, track and verify mechanical requirements
- Provide status, staffing needs, and schedule updates for all mechanical aspects of the instrument development
- Provide input to instrument proposals and assist in development of new and/or improved instrument concepts
You meet our minimum qualifications if you have...
- A BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 7 years experience in mechanical design and analysis.
- Familiarly with PTC and/or Solidworks CAD software.
- Experience in space systems development.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Work well in a team environment and take tasks to completion.
You will go above and beyond our minimum qualifications if you have...
- A Graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 12 years experience in mechanical design and analysis.
- Experience with static and dynamic analysis and mechanical tolerance analysis.
- Experience in space instrument mechanical design.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24312