Applied Physics Laboratory Modeling and Simulation Engineer for Hypersonic Technologies and Systems in Laurel, Maryland
Are you interested in working on cutting edge flight systems that are critical to deterring adversaries of the United States?
Do you enjoy working in teams and partnering with folks across multidisciplinary domains?
Do you have in interest in the developing advanced simulation capabilities and missile systems to support the development of advanced navigation, guidance & control methods, algorithms, and sensor systems employed by modern flight vehicles?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Modeling and Simulation Engineer**with a strong desire to develop modeling and simulation tools to support the evaluation and integration of advanced technologies for hypersonic and advanced reentry flight systems. These weapon systems come with an enormous technological challenges: They fly very fast, with short time-constant nonlinear dynamics, through atmospheric disturbances, and must deal with highly contested environments. We as a nation need to rise to this challenge, and we need your help to do it!
As a Modeling and Simulation Engineer …
- Contribute to the development of 6 Degree of Freedom (DOF) simulation tools to conduct system design and analysis, algorithm & system trade studies, system performance predictions, Monte-Carlo analyses, and high fidelity sensor modeling
- Collaborate with multidiscipline teams to advise government and contractor partners on engineering challenges and design trades for hypersonic systems
- Evaluate candidate technologies to enable advanced capabilities in hypersonic applications
- Lead and contribute to system design trades to mature and evaluate advanced technologies for hypersonic systems
- Develop simulations and code to support the Software and Hardware in the Loop (SWIL/HWIL) modeling capability to support technology integration
- Document & present technical results to peers, supervisors and external sponsors
*You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you… *
- Have a M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Have experience working with and developing 6DOF modeling and simulation tools related to flight dynamics
- Are proficient in MATLAB, Simulink, and C++
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Hold an active Secret level security clearance and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
*You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you … *
- Have a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Have 5+ years of in a missile system engineering discipline such as missile modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, flight guidance, navigation, and control, propulsion or missile test and evaluation
- Have experience with Software in the Loop (SWIL), Hardware in the Loop (HWIL), and/or real-timesimulations
- Have experiencehypersonic systems
- Have experience modeling sensors and other Navigation, Guidance, and Control (NGC) technologies
- Have design experience with missiles and related subsystems
- Currently have an active Top Secret Clearance
Why work at APL? The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24612