Applied Physics Laboratory Modeling and Simulation Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you interested in missile modeling and simulation in the field of hypersonics?
Do you enjoy solving challenging problems with a diverse team in a dynamic environment?
If so, we are seeking an engineer to help us develop modeling and simulation tools, research flight guidance and control algorithms, perform trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies of missile systems. As a member of the team, you will also have the opportunity to participate in flight test and evaluation activities.
As a Modeling and Simulation Engineer …
- You will develop and utilize missile system modeling and simulation tools to conduct trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies
- You will research and develop flight guidance and control algorithms
- You will participate in missile test and evaluation activities to include test operations and pre/post flight evaluations
- You will lead and contribute to analysis efforts
- You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise government and contractor partners on engineering challenges and design trades
- You will produce reports and presentations to communicate results to team members and government partners
*You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you… *
- Have a M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Have experience working with and developing modeling and simulation tools and flight dynamics
- Are proficient in MATLAB
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Hold an active Secret level security clearance and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
*You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you … *
- Have a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Have 5+ years of in a missile system engineering discipline such as missile modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, flight guidance, navigation, and control, propulsion or missile test and evaluation
- Have experience programming in Simulink and/or C/C++
- Have experience with Software in the Loop (SWIL) and/or Hardware in the Loop (HWIL) simulations
- Have experience developing 3 Degree of Freedom (DoF) and/or 6DoF simulations
- Have design experience with missiles and related subsystems
- Currently have a Top Secret Clearance
Why work at APL? The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24161