Applied Physics Laboratory Modeling & Simulation Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Would you be interested in helping shape the next generation of US defense capability?
Are you looking for meaningful work developing physics-based simulations that support our warfighters?
Do you want engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a creative, motivated engineer to help us develop simulations of US weapons, threat missiles, and submersibles. You will have opportunities to develop groundbreaking solutions to the nation's toughest multidisciplinary problems. Our group has a diverse mix of people that like to explore, build, share, invent, and collaborate. Every day will bring exciting new challenges, and as a Modeling and Simulation Engineer, you will be...
- Designing and modifying algorithms and physics-based models to implement them into dynamic simulations using MATLAB/Simulink and modern C++.
- Connecting with other teams to participate in the full pipeline of concept development, from conception to integration
- Building high fidelity, six degree-of-freedom simulations and using them to analyze the performance of a variety of systems.
- Working across subject areas to solve multidisciplinary problems and ensuring we provide our sponsors with the best solutions. This could range from supporting pre-design efforts to the testing of hardware prior to deployment.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, computer science, applied mathematics, or a related technical field.
- Have demonstrated ability developing physics-based models and simulations.
- Have experience with MATLAB/Simulink or other modern programming languages (Python, C++)
- Have some background in missile flight dynamics or guidance and control.
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a Master's or PhD degree.
- Have a background in researching and developing expertise for different applications, including missiles, UAVs, UUVs, and submersibles.
- Have demonstrated experience in performing multidisciplinary analysis and optimization (MDAO).
- Have experience developing and maintaining large software architectures.
- Hold a DoD Secret Clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 25445