Applied Physics Laboratory Ocean Engineering Systems Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Do you have an enthusiasm for research, development, and integration of cutting-edge maritime technology and for solving the most critical operations and systems challenges facing the Navy today?
Do you have a passion for conquering hard problems, systems integration, and prototype development?
Are you searching for meaningful work in Undersea Warfare?
Are you passionate about supporting naval operations?
Do you like contributing to system modifications and testing?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL. We are seeking an Ocean Engineering Systems Engineer to support development of prototype systems from concept to installation and testing on US Navy ships, to include requirements and specifications development, oversight of fabrication and procurement, and development of Navy integrated logistics support products including Tech Manuals and training materials.
As an Ocean Engineering Systems Engineer, you will:
- Develop prototype systems from concept to installation and testing on US Navy ships including: requirements and specifications development, oversight of fabrication and procurement, and development of Navy integrated logistics support products.
- Perform technical and/or project leadership role for small to medium sized technical tasks that may involve both hardware and software components.
- Design and implement prototype systems in support of the Ocean Engineering Program. Evaluate and select COTS/GOTS/and APL developed systems for integration on underwater platforms. Provide system support and training to Navy personnel in APL developed systems.
- Document activities and results, prepare technical reports, present results, and demonstrate system capabilities to peer review groups, partners, working groups, and sponsors.
- Support small focused studies involving adaptation of technology to urgent or emerging problems.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Computer Engineering or have equivalent work experience.
- Have 5+ years of relevant experience with U.S. Navy undersea warfare operations, sensors, integrated logistics support, and systems.
- Are skilled in concept design, implementation, and testing. Experience in full lifecycle systems development including documentation and management of system configuration.
- Have working knowledge of hardware and software integration, requirements capture and flow down, quality assurance processes, information assurance, and trouble shooting.
- Are willing to work in a closed SCIF environment with a small team of professionals; extended hours periodically required.
- Are a team player with excellent written and oral skills.
- Can support CONUS travel required to attend meetings and testing. Position will require travel to Navy facilities with possible embarkation on U.S. Naval vessels for short periods. Travel may be required to support testing and evaluation of equipment on U.S. Naval vessels.
- Have a Top Secret Clearance with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for an SSBI and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have real-world hands-on experience with Navy electronics and systems.
- Have experience in shipboard installations and procedures.
- Have experience in the Navy's Temporary Alteration Process (TEMPALT).
- Have experience in Navy navigation systems including GPS and inertial navigation systems.
- Have a current TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24329