Applied Physics Laboratory Ocean Systems Embedded Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you a hands on engineer who will enjoy designing, developing and fielding embedded software on sensor systems and test platforms for maritime and oceanographic applications?
Do you consider yourself to be a team player who embraces challenges, adapts to dynamic changing environments, and continually looks to advance your technical skills?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
The Engineering and Test Group at APL is seeking an electrical/computer engineer with a strong grasp of embedded software for real time sensor systems, automation, and data acquisition applications to help us develop sensor systems and platforms for maritime and oceanographic applications. We adopt technology, develop sensor systems and build platforms to solve complex problems related to understanding the ocean environment and underwater phenomena around the globe that help our nation and its partners complete their missions. Come join our multi-disciplinary team of engineers and support staff working in labs on our main campus in Laurel, MD.
*As an Ocean Systems Embedded Software Engineer *
- Your primary responsibility will be designing, developing, integrating and testing state-of-the-art software for sensor systems with their related control and data acquisition, power, communication and networking components for use in maritime and oceanographic research applications
- You will apply your skills to develop system requirements and software architecture for complex analog and digital embedded systems and follow their evolution through integration, testing, and deployment both in the laboratory and field tests at-sea
- You will embed algorithms in real-time operating systems (RTOS), microprocessors, DSPs, FPGAs and embedded computers and facilitate the data acquisition and recording of sensor system data as well as the display and communication of data
- You will conduct design reviews and perform laboratory and field testing to debug your embedded projects
- You will specify, identify, and integrate commercial and custom components for the rapid development of prototype systems
- You will apply principles of systems engineering to your work to document your software development and engineering designs, develop test plans, and conduct engineering analysis to meet the quality objectives of your assignments
- You will prepare reports and briefs to support and lead engineering design reviews
- You will participate in field tests and at-sea tests onboard research vessels
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field of engineering with 5+ years of relevant experience, to include embedded software development
- Are proficient in C/C++, MATLAB and/or LabVIEW with at least 3 years of demonstrated capability in integrating sensor systems with software for real time control / automation / data acquisition and related power systems and network configuration
- Have demonstrated an ability to work independently and a willingness to multi-task across several projects while meeting quick turnaround timelines
- Are willing and able to support extended hours during integration and testing both in the laboratory and during field tests at sea
- Have the ability to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimately obtain a final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a M.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Computer Engineering or related field of study with 5+ years of relevant experience and demonstrated relevant embedded software development experience
- Are skilled in , FPGAs, VHDL, Linux OS, Networking Protocols and distributed processing
- Have demonstrated experience with project management in design and integration of complex electro-mechanical systems for maritime applications
- Hold an active Secret security clearance
Why work at APL? The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 22116