Applied Physics Laboratory Science & Technology Writer/Content Creator in Laurel, Maryland
Are you an experienced science and technology writer with a passion for creating content to communicate research and discoveries?
Are you an organized, deadline-driven individual who enjoys a variety of both internal and external communications work? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team.
This Science and Technology writer will work closely with APL’s technical staff and will write and create content across a range of science and engineering disciplines spanning cybersecurity, health, artificial intelligence, homeland protection, national defense, and more. The writer will communicate complex scientific and technical accomplishments to a broad audience and will demonstrate a creative approach to internal and external communications using traditional and digital methods.
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
As a Science and Technology Writer/Content Creator
- Supporting the planning and delivery of communications to external audiences to advance the work of APL’s technical staff and other APL initiatives.
- Writing and updating internal content, briefings, letters, facts sheets and presentations.
- Regularly contributing to the Lab’s internal, bi-weekly staff newsletter and its external news presence
- Supporting strategic planning and rollouts for AOS government sponsor communications and other Laboratory communications campaigns and programs.
- Working with other APL departments to ensure consistency in messaging to internal and external audiences
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- 3+ years of experience and strong writing and communications skills, including previous experience writing news stories, blogs, presentations, and/or technical and scientific content.
- An ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a diverse team.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, organization and follow-through.
- Ability to work on deadline, set priorities and work independently.
- Strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Prior experience in communications supporting U.S. government, Department of Defense, or related national public or private organizations.
- Experience working across multiple levels of a national organization.
- Experience producing videos and animations or writing scripts.
- Media relations experience.
- Experience in multimedia and graphic design.
- A Master’sDdegree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 25309