Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Reentry Systems Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you passionate about reentry system design and working in the field of hypersonics?
Do you love solving significant problems with a diverse team of engineers?
If so, we are seeking an engineer to help us perform trade studies, performance evaluations, and conceptual design studies of reentry systems. As a member of the team, you will help guide analysis and participate in the integration and testing of reentry systems
As a Senior Reentry Systems Engineer …
- You will conduct engineering analysis, design, and performance of reentry bodies
- You will lead trade studies on various reentry systems
- You will lead reentry systems integration and interface analysis
- You will evaluate flight test telemetry to ascertain missile and/or reentry body performance
- You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise sponsors and industry partners on engineering challenges and design trades
- You will generate reports and presentations to communicate findings to team members and government partners
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a M.S. in engineering and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Have knowledge of key reentry subject areas such as aerodynamic performance, flight dynamics, and/or subsystem performance
- Have experience in design, integration, and/or testing of reentry systems
- Have strong computer experience and programming skills, including MATLAB
- Have the ability to interact effectively with colleagues of different experience levels and backgrounds including external industry and military sponsors
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites
- Will be content working in closed area facilities
- Have strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Have demonstrated initiative, interest in skill development and the flexibility to accept assignments of dynamic scope and skill
- Are willing to travel for meetings and field tests (approx. 30-35 days per year)
- Have an active final Secret Clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have previous experience with Navy and/or Air Force strategic reentry systems
- Have an extensive background in some or all of the following categories: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and/or aero-thermal analysis, aerodynamics, structural dynamics, and interface performance requirements
- Have previous design experience for related missile and reentry body subsystems
- Currently have an active Top Secret Clearance
Why work at APL? The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24675