Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Do you crave challenging problems and dream in code?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a creative software engineer to help us architect and develop ground system software and tools. We continuously cultivate collaboration and partnership within our staff. We value substance, impact, and innovation. You will join a hardworking diverse team of software engineers who are committed to integrity and honesty and are passionate about extending state of the art software engineering to address our sponsors' toughest problems.
As a member of our team, we'll develop the next generation of autonomous ground systems for spacecraft missions. Our software systems span the entire space mission life-cycle. We foster an environment of perpetual personal development, innovation, and candid feedback. Your creative contributions will help mission operators execute successful spacecraft missions.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Possess a B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- Have 5+ years of full software engineering experience, including software design methodology, requirements development, configuration management, trade studies, and product defect tracking.
- Have experience developing back-end and user-facing application software.
- Have experience developing application software or system software using Java, and have experience crafting and implementing RESTful web services.
- Are familiar with Java, .NET, C/C++, UML, and object-oriented programming concepts.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and are an effective communicator.
- Have the ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Are able to obtain a Secret Clearance. You will be subjected to a government security investigation, and you should meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Possess a Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Are familiar with ground system concepts, space systems acquisition, system architecture development, simulation and modeling.
- Have knowledge of orbital dynamics, celestial mechanics, and mission design.
- Are familiar with cost estimation, business, and proposal development.
- Have knowledge of Unity and experience developing Augmented and Virtual Reality applications.
- Have experience with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud.
- Have experience with Solaris, Unix, Linux, and network computing.
- Are well-versed in using professional software development tools such as integrated development environments (IDE), version control, issue trackers, debuggers and continuous integration tools and willing to lead teams through integration processes.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24639