Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you interested in playing a critical role in developing the US Navy's future simulation and analysis capabilities for next-generation systems? Do you enjoy working in a creative environment with a team of highly motivated computer scientists, engineers, and physicists? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking senior Software Engineers to join us in creating modeling and simulation capabilities for Advanced Surface Navy radars. You will design software in a teamed environment to realize new analysis capabilities for comparison to live radar data. Work with radar and combat systems engineers to identify and solve problems that impact meeting mission requirements. Develop detailed physics-based simulations that provide unprecedented realism and new levels of understanding of system performance in operationally realistic environments in the presence of the world’s most challenging threats.
We are seeking a [descriptor] to help us [purpose/impact of work]. [Add 3-4 more sentences describing the nature or focus of the work, the mission, and the work environment]
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will...
- Creatively apply your technical skills to identify and solve problems.
- Lead teams of radar, combat system engineers, physicists and other software developers.
- Apply software development management practices to the development of advanced modeling and simulation (M&S) capabilities and data analysis tools.
- Advise and guide direction of analysis capabilities for the A2A group and the programs it supports.
- Develop tasking to address future program needs in collaboration with program managers.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent technical field with at least 5 years of systems software development experience.
- Strong understanding of modern software development practices and tools such as Git, Jenkins, Jira, and Atlassian products.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent technical field.
- Have significant experience leading software development teams.
- Have experience developing models and simulations, particularly for DoD systems performance analysis applications.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 23733