Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country’s toughest national security problems?
Do you love building and prototyping robust software systems?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Our team provides creative solutions and systems to the Department of Defense and Intelligence Community. We are seeking talented engineers, scientists, and software developers to help us deliver groundbreaking capabilities to our sponsors.
As part of our team you will be responsible for the design and development of software applications for use in the engineering and deployment of novel RF and audio solutions. Our portfolio includes RF communication devices, location capabilities, signal analysis and processing, and audio devices. We are developing various applications including desktop, mobile and web technologies for our sponsors.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will …
- Primarily participate in hardware/software system design planning and execution, develop specifications and interface control documentation for software products.
- Develop software requirements and specifications from written high-level specifications.
- Design and develop innovative software solutions which may include desktop applications, mobile applications, and web applications.
- Migrate real-time data analysis tools and signal exploitation algorithms to platform specific applications.
- Stay up to date on new software technologies.
- Implement and run software testing as part of system development and testing.
- Develop training aids for software system operators; train end users.
- Document and present work to sponsors and the technical community.
*You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have: *
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Math, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience developing software applications.
- 5+ years of developing software using objected-oriented languages such as Java, C#, and scripting languages.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proven excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently or manage a team of developers, and demonstrated ability to work as part of a multi-discipline team.
- The ability to work on-site at APL's main campus as well as at commercial and USG test sites.
- Are able to obtain a TS/SCI level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- 8+ years developing software applications.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Experience with database technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres, or MongoDB.
- Basic understanding of RF communications and digital signal processing concepts.
- Experience with MATLAB and Python.
- Experience working in an Agile team environment.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24336