Applied Physics Laboratory Senior Weapon Systems Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you a "systems thinker" with advanced systems engineering experience that wants to have impact on nationally important defense programs?
Do you love working with a diverse group of dedicated technical specialists in a collaborative teaming environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer for the Weapon Systems Engineering Group in the Force Projection Sector. We provide vital systems engineering and system development expertise to nationally important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy and Air Force. As a member of our team, you will develop and assess requirements, develop architectures, build and modify analysis tools, develop test plans and analyze test data, perform trade studies, requirements analysis, functional analysis, and performance assessment for strategic weapons systems development programs. We are passionate about making critical contributions to these critically important programs, and you will be a key part of our success. With your help, we will remain at the forefront of weapon systems engineering for the Force Projection Sector.
As a Senior Weapon Systems Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to provide systems engineering thought leadership and expertise focusing on requirements analysis, concept/technology development, risk assessments and test & evaluation for strategic deterrent systems.
- You will utilize tools to analyze weapon system capabilities and to assist in the development of future weapon system requirements.
- You will participate in design and requirements reviews.
- You will provide domain expertise while leading/coordinating research, studies, and analysis on current and future weapons system capabilities and performance, as well as provide supporting data and associated recommendations to advise program sponsors.
- You will deliver formal presentations to sponsors and supporting contractors, and effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results. You will produce reports that bring together concept definitions, requirements, analysis results, and technical recommendations.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field.
- Have 7+ years of experience performing systems engineering in the design, development or evaluation of complex weapon systems.
- Are highly skilled in early concept development, requirements analysis, design, test and evaluation, and risk assessment.
- Have especially strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong critical thinking skills.
- Have shown the ability to interact effectively with and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams, including industry and government sponsors.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically, including short duration visits to sponsor offices at the Washington Navy Yard and to supporting contractor sites, as well as occasional travel to other military bases across the country.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance and are able to get a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an advanced degree in systems engineering.
- Have experience in systems engineering for missile systems.
- Have experience with DoD acquisition processes, Navy Strategic Systems programs, and/or Air Force ICBM programs.
- Have familiarity with systems engineering software, especially model based systems engineering tools like Magic Draw and DOORS.
- Have experience with new DoD program development to include concept development and Pre-Milestone A activities.
- Have knowledge of the Navy Trident II Strategic Weapon System and/or Air Force ICBM System.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 23038