Applied Physics Laboratory Software Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Do you love working on large complex systems?
Are you searching for meaningful work where you can leverage your software experience to influence the design of critical weapons systems for our military?
Do you want your work to have significant impact?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a senior software engineer to help us in defining and evaluating current and future Department of Defense weapons control systems. You will join a hardworking team of engineers working with government and industry partners to apply software engineering principles to solve complex technical problems to design and integrate new capabilities for the Tomahawk Weapons Control System.
As a Senior Software Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to...
- Provide technical mentorship to the customer, collaborating with prime developers throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC), and providing inputs to overall system design and analysis.
- Participate in program increment planning, sprint demonstrations, and integrated test events, ensuring close coupling between customer needs and other ongoing system development activities.
- Creatively apply your technical skills to identify and solve problems with actionable recommendations to achieve system capabilities.
- Inform software development processes and identify opportunities to improve efficiency.
- Deliver formal presentations and effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results. You will produce reports that bring together concept definitions, requirements, analysis results, and technical recommendations.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field.
- Have at least 5 years of full software engineering experience, including software design methodology, requirements development, configuration management, trade studies, and product defect tracking.
- Have experience with software engineering design methodologies, tools, and technologies such as Agile Scrum, JIRA, DevSecOps, and virtualization.
- Have experience with object oriented programming in languages such as Java, C++, and Python.
- Have the ability to conduct risk identification and assessments.
- Have excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically to Government and contractor sites within the continental US approximately two-three days per month.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a Government clearance investigation to determine if you meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related field.
- Are highly skilled in complex software design within a DoD software acquisition environment.
- Have experience leading projects through the full software development lifecycle.
- Are looking to support system analysis and design while applying your domain expertise in the areas of: Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD), and Automated Tests principles and best practices.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 25429