Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) Supervisor, Specialty Valves in Laurel, Maryland
Functional TitleSupervisor, Specialty Valves
Recruitment Category TypeStandard
Number of Vacancies1
Job Description Summary
Organization NameSystems Control
Reports toSection Manager, Electrical & Mech Maintenance, Chief Water Distribution Operator
Full or Part TimeFull Time
If Part Time how many hours per week
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Position End Date (if temporary)
Monday through Friday
6 am to 2:30 pm
or as needed by the Division
Leads water distribution operators and/or facility technicians engaged in operation, replacement and maintenance of specialty valves at WSSC Water industrial plants, storage facilities and remote sites.
• Prepares daily reports and/or work orders documenting staff time, equipment and materials utilized in completing given tasks
• Collects data used for preparing work schedules, ordering materials or preparing reports, and answering customer requests or complaints
• Schedules and assigns tasks to a crew of water distribution operators and/or facility technicians engaged in operation, maintenance or replacement of specialty valves and piping systems at plants, pumping stations, storage facilities and remote sites
• Instructs and guides team members with a variety of tasks to ensure operability with pumping stations, pressure reducing and relief valves (PRVs) and division valves across hydraulic pressure zones across service area
• Operates water pumping stations including plug, check, gate, air/vacuum and surge protection valves
• Operates the Control Center
• Oversees and troubleshoots basic electrical and telecommunication problems and arranges repairs with the appropriate staff
• Ensures compliance with safety rules and regulations in accordance with, but not limited to, OSHA , the state of Maryland and WSSC Water, including traffic control
• Researches engineering records, including the water main records ( PRODS ), to troubleshoot problems and contributes to improving standards for Commission facilities, as needed
• Provides operational support to the Engineering and Construction Department to place new facilities in service and ability to make necessary operational changes as needed
• Assists with the cleaning and maintenance of the Rock Creek Wastewater Storage Facility
• Assists with investigation of vehicle accidents and work injuries; recommends corrective action or discipline
• Participates on cross functional teams
• Evaluates and makes recommendations of new materials and/or equipment
• Serves as Acting Section Manager when needed
• Performs related duties as required
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Work occurs in the field, within industrial plants and a business casual office setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods and techniques commonly used in specialty valve maintenance operations and major repairs
• Considerable knowledge of standard procedures and tasks where basic analytical ability is required, as in the comparison of numbers and simple facts in selecting the correct action
• Knowledge of safety precautions and hazards in work
• Knowledge of personnel policies and ability to administer personnel actions; skill in work management and work leadership in planning, assigning and supervising work crews
• Ability to lead and train others effectively in a team-based organization focused on continuous improvement
• Ability to demonstrate strong two-way communication skills to resolve problems
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and to make verbal and written reports
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
• High School diploma or equivalent
• 5+ years water distribution operator experience
• Demonstrated mechanical experience with water distribution pipelines that includes valves, hydraulic systems, operation and maintenance of pumping stations, and repairing systems in industrial plants
• Possession of a valid driver’s license with no more than 4 points and ability to obtain the WSSC Water driver’s permit within 90 days of hire or transfer
• Must obtain & maintain Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Systems Operator certifications within 2 years of hire or transfer
• Valid CDL (Class B) for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.
• Basic electrical knowledge
Salary$31.22 - $$47.66 per hour
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Commission to select new employees and to promote current employees without regard to race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, or handicap. The Commission does not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability and will make reasonable accommodation for any disability that does not result in undue hardship for the Commission.
Open Until FilledNo
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a High School diploma or equivalent?
- Do you have a valid driver's license with no more than 4 points and with no restrictions (except eyeglasses/contact lenses)?
- Do you hold a current CDL 'B' license?
- Do you have 5+ years experience as a water distribution operator?
- Do you have demonstrated experience with valves, hydraulics systems, operation and maintenance of pumping stations and water distribution pipeline repair?
- Do you have general/basic electrical knowledge?
Are you an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces who was a bona fide resident of the state of Maryland when you entered the U.S. military?
- Will you, now or in the future, require sponsorship for employment visa status?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application