Applied Physics Laboratory Weapon System Model Based Systems Engineer in Laurel, Maryland
Are you a systems thinker with model-based systems engineering (MBSE) experience that wants to have impact on nationally important defense programs.
Do you enjoy developing and deploying cutting edge capabilities for digital engineering (DE)?
Do you love working with a diverse group of dedicated technical specialists in a collaborative teaming environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a systems engineer proficient in MBSE for the Weapon Systems Engineering Group in the Force Projection Sector. We provide vital systems engineering and system development expertise to nationally important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy and Air Force. As a member of our team, you will provide advanced MBSE expertise in developing system models, model profiles, architecture frameworks, and systems engineering processes for several critical strategic weapons systems development programs. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to create and contribute to innovative DE capabilities that accelerate the engineering efforts of APL and our sponsors. We are passionate about making critical contributions to these critically important programs, and you will be a key part of our success. With your help, we will remain at the forefront of weapon systems engineering for the Force Projection Sector.
As a Weapon System Model-Based Systems Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to provide systems engineering and MBSE thought leadership and expertise to the development and evaluation of complex strategic deterrent systems and supporting infrastructure.
- You will work with an advanced team to develop and implement system models to support development and integration of new strategic deterrent systems, as well as modernization and sustainment of existing systems.
- You will conceptualize, design, and develop new DE capabilities and processes that will become force multipliers for APL and our sponsors.
- You will apply your systems engineering expertise on requirements analysis, concept/technology development, architecture analysis, risk assessments, and test & evaluation for strategic deterrent systems.
- You will deliver formal presentations to sponsors and supporting contractors, and effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results.
- You will develop model profiles, tool plug-ins, architecture frameworks, and model queries in the MBSE tools that capture and analyze models of the systems being developed throughout their lifecycle from concept definition through fielding and support.
- You will help define model-based design review requirements and update the systems engineering process to utilize advanced MBSE techniques.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field.
- Have experience performing systems engineering in the design, development and/or evaluation of complex weapon systems.
- Have experience in system modeling using UML/SysML and associated modeling software.
- Have direct experience applying aspects of MBSE in support of system development.
- Have broad systems engineering experience including early concept development, requirements analysis, design, test and evaluation, and risk assessment.
- Have especially strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong critical thinking skills.
- Have shown the ability to interact effectively with and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams, including industry and government sponsors.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically, including short duration visits to sponsor offices at the Washington Navy Yard and to supporting contractor sites, as well as occasional travel to other military bases across the country.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance and are able to get a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an advanced degree in systems engineering.
- Have experience in systems engineering for strategic deterrence missile systems.
- Have relevant OMG or other systems engineering certifications.
- Have worked with modeling frameworks such as the Department of Defense Architecture Framework or Unified Architecture Framework.
- Have expertise writing custom scripts and/or plug-ins for MagicDraw modeling software (including its Cameo variants) and/or DOORS requirements software.
- Have Agile software development experience.
- Have experience integrating models across multiple software applications to perform detailed analysis by leveraging data from several engineering domains.
- Has a broad knowledge of digital engineering processes and tools.
- Have experience with DoD acquisition processes, Navy Strategic Systems programs, and/or Air Force ICBM programs.
- Have knowledge of the Navy Trident II Strategic Weapon System and/or Air Force ICBM System.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 24582