Medifast, Inc. Director of Manufacturing in Owings Mills, Maryland
The Director of Manufacturing is accountable for overseeing the performance and operations of our wholly owned food manufacturing operation in Owings Mills, MD. This position owns site operational excellence through the development of short and long-term goals, policies, and procedures in addition to staffing for ensuring product quality, timely delivery, profitability, and site safety / compliance. Beyond meeting production targets, this position should manage capacities and drive efficiencies, identify opportunities to deliver improved. Plant performance and / or cost reductions, manage labor / staffing for the site, and support contract manufacturers as needed.
• Partners with EVP, Supply Chain to develop short and long term strategies, develops business plans, and oversees deployment
• Oversee manufacturing operations to ensure site achieves high performance standards in all manufacturing metrics & KPI’s.
• Lead a culture focused on continuous improvement in the areas of associate engagement, exceeding customer expectations, being an employer of choice, and delivering sustainable and profitable results. Build a culture of mutual respect, teamwork, and professionalism, demonstrating active support of the Company’s Core values and policies.
• Partners with peers in matrix organizations including Planning, Quality Assurance, R&D, Human Relations, Finance, and Marketing in order to coordinate all phases of product commercialization and provide the best product and service to customers.
• Directly supervises, coaches, and inspires Plant Departmental Leaders responsible for all aspects of production and achieving key performance measurements related to personnel safety, quality and food safety, service, and cost, while continually improving process reliability and performance.
• Development, assessment, modification, and implementation of standard procedures and operating systems in sanitation, safety, quality, preventative maintenance, and GMP’s. Track and ensure adherence to Quality, Safety, and Best Practice Implementation KPI’s.
• Extend capabilities to meet market needs and support profitable growth of the products produced by the facility.
• Build an organization that is customer focused, flexible, and has a strong business acumen.
• Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and company policies.
The ideal candidate will possess the following Key Behavioral Competencies:
• Results Orientation. Leaders who demonstrate this ability are focused on improving business results. The Director of Manufacturing will be capable of introducing incremental improvements in the business practices, using analysis, or cost-benefits analysis, to establish new ways of doing things, thus improving performance. The Director of Manufacturing will be able to define and examine key issues and alternatives, evaluating costs, risks and benefits for the organization. Accountability and a sense of urgency are a must.
• Change Leadership. Leaders who demonstrate this ability improve the performance of the business by motivating associates to make changes – both incremental and breakthrough. The Director of Manufacturing will be capable of mobilizing others to initiate change and orchestrate the pace and process of change, will encourage others to look for opportunities for change, and act to influence various individuals internally and externally, giving them a specific role within the change effort.
• Learning and Adopting Best Practices. Leaders who demonstrate this ability are able to learn new approaches and concepts, identify and develop new ideas or best practices, and apply them to their business. They also show the desire to learn (intellectual curiosity), seeking continuous self-improvement and growth within the organization. The Director of Manufacturing will be capable of implementing improvements based on industry benchmarks, and use those productivity benchmarks from similar companies to measure the productivity of their own facility and to implement improvements to reach benchmark levels of efficiency. A candidate who has held a series of positions with increasing responsibility and moved a number of times, either externally and/or internally, while continuing to be successful will be desirable.
• Strategic Thinking with Business Insight. Leaders who demonstrate this ability understand the company’s competitive context. They show a wish to learn about the business, possess analytical and conceptual abilities, and a capacity to formulate a plan that will impact the company in a positive way. The Director of Manufacturing will understand the business and as such be able to define his/her own plan within the general company strategy and communicate clearly to the team.
• People Oriented Leadership. Leaders who demonstrate this ability focus on optimizing, developing, and improving work teams. They are interested in people; in increasing their productive performance and ensuring their personal development. They are Managers who achieve a balance between the productive and the humane, and at the highest level of competence, they succeed in inspiring others to be better. The Director of Manufacturing will be able to operate in a team based environment and by doing so will empower the team and delegate responsibilities, allowing the team to operate in an autonomous way which will allow the team members to carry out plans and goals agreed upon by themselves, ensuring ownership of decisions and promoting individual accountability.
Education and Work History:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Manufacturing, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering, or a technical field a plus. Master’s degree in a related field or an MBA is desirable
• 15+ years of increasingly responsible manufacturing experience, at least 5 years which must be in the food or consumer goods industry
• 10+ years of direct management experience. Management of multiple departments at one time is preferred.
• Demonstrated leadership of safety initiatives and track record leading the improvement of operations while delivering day to day performance.
• Strong understanding and exposure to the operations of all plant departments: production, quality, maintenance, materials management, controllership, etc.
• Participative management style and excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience building a strong management team and promoting teamwork in multiple locations across all departments.
• Strong business acumen and working knowledge of continuous improvement, equipment design and installation, project management, and financial reporting.
Job ID: 2020-3734
External Company Name: Medifast, Inc.
External Company URL: www.medifast1.com
Street: 11445 Cronhill Drive