Raytheon Technologies Sr Systems Engineer in Riverdale, Maryland
Raytheon Technology's NOAA EPIC Program is seeking a Systems Engineer to work in a dynamic Agile development environment for modernizing science-driven applications to operate on cloud platforms. EPIC provides acceleration of community-developed scientific and technological enhancements into the operational applications for Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) and improved Research to Operations (R2O).
As a member of the Raytheon EPIC team,
you will ensure adherence to operational agreements and polices (including response times), compliance to program and NOAA standards and requirements (including Section 508 compliance), leveraging of industry best practices for automation and scalability of assets, and implementation of issue detection and alerts.
The following duties are expected to be carried out by the Systems Engineer:
• Surveying developers for insights into effective debugging activities and choosing how to incorporate those practices in a distributed, virtual environment.
• Surveying PMs for internal and grant-funded integration activities to understand the state of model coupling and integration, providing insight into initial Research-to-Operations (R2O) priorities and distinct needs for each component of an Earth Modeling System.
• Surveying teams of scientists focused on reforecast, reanalysis, and retrospective activities, to understand community use models outside of baseline evolution.
• Assessing the Earth Modeling System’s existing web portal as the communications platform, offering recommendations and capability enhancements.
• Assessing community-based and operational workflows running in cloud environments, along with porting activity of all cloud environments, to help stakeholders choose which cloud environments make the most sense for a budget-conscious community.
Experience, Knowledge, and/or Skills Requirement:
• Bachelor degree and at least 4 progressive years of engineering experience.
• At least 4 years of Lifecycle Development experience, such as Requirements, Design, and Testing, in on n-tier client/server applications.
• In-depth knowledge of application hosting, with 2-4 years of experience using Cloud Services in a Commercial Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS) or Platform as Service (PAAS) environment.
• At least 1 year of automated scripting and collection of metrics, via performance monitoring and/or testing.
• Experience supporting operations that automate application runtimes using infrastructure code such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, and Terraform.
• Experience conducting Analysis of Alternatives (AoA)/ Trade Studies on web applications and cloud solutions.
• Experience conducting and preparing Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBAs).
• Ability to communicate technical information to organization and the scientific community, verbally and in writing.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and/or Skills:
- Knowledge of microservice architecture, along with container orchestration and runtime.
Required Education (including Major):
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field.
Benefits offered: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and holidays.
This is a contingent position that requires either a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.